RE: [Pce] Review of draft-ietf-pce-stateful-pce-18

2017-04-12 11:29:16
Hi Julien, Jon,

Thank you for your feedback.
Please see below my answer/feedback (indicated with [LM2])

Regards,

Lionel

Hi Julien

You are right, but it is *really easy* for the reader to confuse "stateful
capability" with "update capability" and "active stateful capability".  Case
in
point: I just confused them in my reply to Lionel.

We should fix each of the three points below to make this clearer.

[LM2] I agree :)

Jon, Lionel,

I believe Lionel got confused by the wording introduced in RFC 8051:
- no report, no update means stateless PCE;
- report, no update means passive stateful PCE;
- report and update means active (stateful) PCE.

[LM2] understood!

=====

[LM] active/passive mode are not  advertized in PCEP. s/if active
stateful PCE capability was not advertised/if stateful PCE capability
was not advertised

Jon> ACK

=====
[JM] NACK! ;-)
Actually, the passive mode is advertised using the Stateful-capability-object
TLV
with the U bit unset, the active mode by setting the U bit.

[LM2] "il faut être sorti de Saint-Cyr pour comprendre" as we say in french :)
Could be good to add something like "(as indicated by the U-bit clear in
Stateful-capability-object)"

=====

Note that even if the update capability has not been advertised, a PCE
can still accept LSP Status Reports from a PCC and build and maintain
an up to date view of the state of the PCC's LSPs.

[LM] I don't undersand. Is it not in contradiction with

"If the PCEP Speaker on the PCE supports the extensions of this draft
but did not advertise this capability, then upon receipt of a PCRpt
message from the PCC, it MUST generate a PCErr with error- type
19 (Invalid Operation), error-value 5 (Attempted LSP State Report if
active stateful PCE capability was not advertised) (see Section
8.5) and it SHOULD terminate the PCEP session."

Or does it mean that there is another way than PCRpt message for the
PCC to send LSP status reports to the PCE?

Jon> ACK.  I think that the statement in the draft is bogus and I
propose to delete this sentence from it.

=====
[JM] I do not think that the text is bogus:
- case 1: no advertised capability on update but advertised on report (i.e.
passive
stateful) => no error message;
- case 2: no advertised capability on update nor report (i.e. stateless) =>
error.

[LM2] After multiple readings and thanks to your explanation, I think I have
understood. Am I correct saying that the PCE will accept LSP Status Reports
from a PCC ONLY if the stateful PCE capability has been advertised (i.e.
Stateful Capability TLV with the 'LSP Update' Flag cleared)? If it is the case,
is it really required to keep this text, as in the previous paragraph we find
the conditions to accept/reject reports from the PCC?

=====

[LM] Would it be useful to discover (using another TLV) whether the
PCE is an active/passive stateful PCE, as in IGP-based capabilities
discovery mechanism?

Jon> This can be inferred immediately from the U flag in the
STATEFUL-PCE-CAPABILITY TLV.  Passive mode is synonymous with not
sending / handling PCUpd messages.

=====
[JM] The mechanism is there, but section 7.1.1 may deserve an explicit use of
the "passive/active" terms, to make sure the capability terminology is aligned
with the vocabulary in the IGP section.

[LM2] I can only be agree with you :)

falsifie. Merci.

this message and its attachments.