RE: Why are mail servers not also key servers?

2017-04-20 19:26:46
Thanks Paul. We're considering untrustable email/DNS/... servers. OK.

This particular email hasn't any jurisprudence value. However, it could have
the same value as a registered letter, couldn't it? (Can't layers' emails?) I
suppose the difference is some digital signature, which i guess will mean some
certificate issued by some trusted entity. (Which means, at least once, the 2
ends can't avoid "having to meet" (not to set new keys but) to know each
other's signature. (I actually don't know which entity grants them.))

Why doesn't that solve the doubt about "who gave [...] the key"? And again,
what have the networks in between to do with it?

In traditional mail, the only thing one needs is the delivery registry and
signatures. (Perhaps wrongly, i'm extrapolating Portuguese law to other
countries'.) From that, you're sure you're writing who you want to write to. If
on top of that you want, both of you can exchange keys and encrypt. However,
that's inside the envelope. The mail service doesn't really care or know what's
in there and wouldn't understand the message if the envelope was violated. Its
role is simply...
-transport
-providing you the proof you sent the letter
-providing you the proof the other end sent you the receipt (with its own
signature)

(But i fear you'll point out why this won't work with email, if you carry on