Re: Predictable Internet Time

2017-04-21 11:11:48
Hi, all,

Again, this discussion is continuing over in ART at the advice of the IESG.

I'll post followups there.

Joe

On 4/18/2017 4:21 PM, Toerless Eckert wrote:
Nice!

Why not start to tackle the problem pragmatically before asking for standards
when its clearly a political issue.

a) RFC describing the problems developers and system deployments can face
  because of leap seconds.
b) And best current practices to get around those issues. Eg: Expect clock
  smear on Jan 1 == reduced accuracy of ~1. Unless OS or other trusted
  info source gives explicit indication: NO leap, no smear.
c) And finally a description of the worst open issues when b) is applied.
   Anything worse than labels on products "reduced functionality on Jan 1
   after a leap second" ?

Cheers
    Toerless