Re: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps-05.txt> (Special-Use Domain Names Problem Statement) to Informational RFC

2017-06-12 10:13:37
On Jun 12, 2017, at 11:00 AM, Job Snijders <job(_at_)ntt(_dot_)net> wrote:
NEW:
  The situation was somewhat forced, both by the fact that use of the
  .onion domain name by the Tor Project predates the process described
  in RFC 6761 by 9 years, and because a deadline [CABF-DEADLINE] had
  been set by the CA/Browser Forum [CABF] after which all PKI
  certificates for internal names would expire and no new certificates
  would be issued. At the time .onion was considered an internal name.
  IETF recognition of the .onion as a Special-Use Top-Level Domain Name
  facilitated the development of a certificate issuance process
  specific to .onion domain names [CABF-BALLOT144].

[CABF-DEADLINE] should link to https://www.digicert.com/internal-names.htm
[CABF] should link to https://cabforum.org/
[CABF-BALLOT144] should link to
https://cabforum.org/2015/02/18/ballot-144-validation-rules-dot-onion-names/

Thanks, I think this is better text.

I wasn't there, but reading ballot-144, some cabforum mails, and
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/landmark-hidden-services-onion-names-reserved-ietf
it appears to me that all parties involved were actively trying to fix a
long standing broken situation.

Yes, that's what it looked like to me as well.