Re: [vmeet] Remote Participation Hubs

2017-06-21 11:47:53
John,

Thanks for your comments.  Let me just say that we need to carefully consider
and think out remote participation as a community.   Surprisingly enough, I
actually agree with many of your points.   I did this draft because this is a
conversation that we need to have.
Today, I believe that we are ready for "Remote Viewing Hubs" (which is a draft
that I will try to get posted by next week!)
IMO, ignoring the issues that come with "real" participation, many of whom you
point out, we will do so at our peril.   We need to be thinking 3- 4 years out.
 And, planning for unforeseen disasters.  Have we so quickly forgotten the
"travel ban" debacle?   Having said that, I do not object at all to putting
this work aside and concentrating on Remote Viewing Hubs.
But, on the back burner should not mean forgotten.
Is it so out of the question that in 2020, some region (say, India) may have
300 people who wish to participate in IETF WGs but cannot all do so in person.
 Why would we not have remote participation hubs in Bangalore, Kolkota, Mumbai?
   We need to think and plan for that.
Nalini

--On Thursday, June 15, 2017 14:50 +0000