Re: One user, many addresses

2004-02-02 08:53:40

At 20:50 04/02/01 -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

But it doesn't understand the concept of "here is my identity, choose the contact point that is easiest/fastest/most-appropriate/etc" -- a modern MUA, for instance, might look for "Brett Watson" and if you are logged onto AIM, send it to you there, fall back to your yahoo messenger account, and if you're not there, e-mail it to you at nutters.org. And if I flag it at a certain priority or higher, also poke your SMS address with a notice that the message was sent and you need to look at it.

(if you want, you can make this kind of "dispersed identity" as complex as you want, with work and personal addresses, hours for when to use which at what priority, etc -- and then mail magically routes where it ought to be, when it ought to be. If you jump outside the box of "how we do it now" and start thinking about "what can we make possible", it really creates opportunities to consider, even if we decide not to....)

More functionality in this direction definitely would be great.
I know of people who already have a setup more or less like this.
Unfortunately, neither the current things nor the future setup
will work without quite a bit of human involvement (whom do I allow
to send me high-priority mail,...) on both the sender and the receiver
side.

Regards,   Martin.