VMN: Virtual Mail Networks (ESMTP)

2004-02-07 01:06:08
We should know if we want to create a new set of email standards or enhance the existing ones. ESMTP can be easily extended but most features we would like require support at both sides to be useful.

One possible way of forcing such two-sides features in ESMTP can be VMN (Virtual Mail Networks). VMN can enforce support for some set of ESMTP extensions and some additional requirements.

Sample VMN specification:
* mandatory strong SPF specification for any domain participating
(e.g. up to 10 hosts which can send messages with sender in specific domain)
* mandatory requirement of domain reachability
(removal from VMN domains which do not accept mail for more than 4 days)
* mandatory check for open relay/proxy of any host participating in the VMN

The above mentioned VMN could reduce "spam as we know it" by at least order of magnitude by excluding most of open relays/proxies and forcing easy identification of real sender.

It is not the only sensible VMN spec but (IMHO) it shows strength of the idea.

Requirements to implement VMN
* VMN indicator in email address e.g.
John(_dot_)Doe(_at_)example(_dot_)com(_dot_)SPF(_dot_)VMN
* enforcement of specific VMN rules by MTA

What is you opinion about this "evolutionary path" ?
IMHO it can be used to create non trivial email systems to test some ideas presented here and to see which solution will get users' support.

--
Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip http://anfi.freeshell.org backup:
anfi(_at_)xl(_dot_)wp(_dot_)pl