operator-visible goals?

2004-02-07 12:17:00

okay, it seems that

a) people are starting to state "user-visible" goals that don't seem relevant or recognizable to most users b) people are starting to talk about implementation details rather than problem definition and goals

I don't think we're done understanding our scope  yet.

We've got a fairly good list of user-visible goals, and we can still add to that list if we identify more of them. What about operator-visible goals? i.e. What would those who operate the mail infrastructure (MTAs, submission servers, message stores, ...) want from a new mail system? And what would IP network operators want from a new mail system?

I don't claim to understand this point-of-view as well as a user's point-of-view, but here's an attempt to get a list started:

- mail system operators want the mail system to be easy to configure

- mail system operators want a way to verify and test configurations before making them "live"

- mail system operators want the mail system to run efficiently and economically, without requiring substantial CPU resources, network bandwidth, etc. for the number of users served or messages handled

- mail system operators want the mail system to be secure, in that they can control access to it and that attempts at unauthorized use (a) fail and (b) do not significantly impact operation of the mail system or supporting infrastructure

- mail system operators want reliable fault detection

- mail system operators want the ability to continue operating the mail system in the presence of various failures

- mail system operators want effective tracing and logging to aid in problem diagnosis

- mail system operators want a uniform and effective interface for problem reporting by users

- network operators want a mail system that uses their networks efficiently

- network operators want a mail system that doesn't compromise the security or operational integrity of their networks