Re: Storage: service provider vs user

2004-02-13 04:13:17

On 13-feb-04, at 11:54, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Aren't you really assuming that there is a flag day, on which every client, peer and server program on the net stops talking SMTP, LMTP, IMAP and POP, and starts talking *-NG protocols? IMNSHO, that's a hopeless assumption.

Isn't this off-topic?

I think NG and POEMS (Plain Old EMail System) should live side by side until the latter is obsolete. Flag days aren't possible: look at the euro, even though there was a flag day in reality the old stuff and the euro existed alongside for a significant amount of time. Full interconnection in both directions defeats the purpose so having both for a while is the only reasonable solution.

In Fidonet and I think also UUCP messages are bundled in an archive so that someone connects it's easy to download all new messages. Do we want something like this in the new system?

Fidonet and UUCP both faded out of existence, didn't they? IMO, anything that borrows too much from their design is unlikely to storm the world.

There is a difference between reviving an obsolete protocol and using it for inspiration to come up with something new and better.