Re: OT: Re: Less is more

2004-04-30 14:10:37

Keith Moore writes:
If that field occurred in an actual message generated by an actual MUA I'd claim it was a programmer error even if it was syntactically valid :) Anyone who put that in a shipping product ought to be sacked.

I can agree with that - but then I'm not arguing that the RFC822 date format is sensible and good.

If a program can't parse Frode's field, it can't parse the RFC822 date field syntax as specified.

True, but it could quite possibly parse 99.999% of the dates that occur in actual use, including dates that aren't valid - at which point the inability to parse dates is insignificant in comparison to failures that are due to other problems. If you're concerned about reliability
[ ... ]

I'm concerned with interoperability. I'm concerned that the mail-ng specification will be simple and sensible, so people parse and generate the syntax as specified, not some undefined smallish subset of it.

Arnt