Re: OT: Re: Less is more

2004-05-03 05:44:07

I'm not arguing that the RFC822 date format is sensible and good.

nor, really, am I. but if we're going to change it, we should change it to something that will actually interoperate better - not just something which will produce a different set of interoperability problems.

Can't disagree with that. And I think the way to accomplish this is to have a rule that given a date/time/timezone, there must be only a single valid representation of that time in the format we end up selecting.

I don't disagree that this is a good idea. But if you look at the kinds of malformed dates that are out there, most are not malformed because the programmer tried to use some legal variant of the date syntax and failed to get it right - they're malformed because the programmer failed to even try to get it right.