[mail-vet-discuss] Authentication-Results ESMTP extension

2007-11-01 15:33:21
After discussing this at length with a few people at both IETF and MAAWG, it sounds like we'll eventually need an ESMTP extension to create an unforgeable channel between the border MTAs and the MUAs/LDAs. The time to implement this is a lot longer than a header field so it's important to have both, but it's quite possibly the more long-term solution.

Attached is a new draft I'll be submitting soon which creates such an extension. On the heels of this I intend to present a third draft which defines an IMAP annotation to be used to store authentication results along with messages as message metadata in a message store.

Comments requested ("RFC", after all!).

-MSK

Individual submission                                       M. Kucherawy
Internet-Draft                                            Sendmail, Inc.
Intended status: Standards Track                            October 2007
Expires: April 3, 2008

  SMTP Service Extension for Indicating Message Authentication Status
                  draft-kucherawy-sender-auth-esmtp-00

Status of this Memo

   By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
   applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
   have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
   aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79.
   This document may not be modified, and derivative works of it may not
   be created.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on April 3, 2008.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The IETF Trust (2007).

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                 [Page 1]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

Abstract

   This memo defines an extension to the Simple Mail Transfer protocol
   (SMTP) service whereby a server can indicate its ability to accept
   and apply information regarding the efforts of upstream SMTP servers
   to establish authenticity of the message via various authentication
   methods.

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
     1.1.  Purpose  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
     1.2.  Definitions  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   2.  Framework for the Authentication Results Extension . . . . . .  6
   3.  The Authentication-Results Service Extension . . . . . . . . .  7
     3.1.  Client Implementation  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
     3.2.  Server Implementation  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
     3.3.  MAIL Command Extension . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
     3.4.  Extension Fields . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   4.  Conformance and Usage Requirements . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
   5.  IANA Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
     5.1.  Email Authentication Method Name Registry  . . . . . . . . 11
   6.  Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
     6.1.  Trusting SMTP Clients  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
   7.  References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
     7.1.  Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
     7.2.  Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
   Appendix A.  Acknowledgements  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
   Appendix B.  Examples  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
     B.1.  Single authentication result . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
   Appendix C.  Public Discussion . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17
   Author's Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
   Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements . . . . . . . . . . 19

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                 [Page 2]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

1.  Introduction

   Electronic mail, though ubiquitous and highly useful, is also prone
   to increasing abuse by parties that choose to exploit its lenient
   design for nefarious purposes such as "spam" and "phishing."  Abuse
   of this leniency has become so widespread as to become an economic
   problem.  Several nascent methods of mitigating this problem such as
   [DKIM] appear to make strides in this direction but are themselves
   not sufficient.  In many cases the results of attempts to
   authenticate messages must be relayed to the user for final
   disposition.

   This memo defines a new SMTP extension which is used to relay message
   authentication results from upstream (e.g. "border") mail servers to
   internal mail servers which ultimately do message delivery.  This
   information can then be used by delivery agents or even the users
   themselves when determining whether or not the content of such
   messages is trustworthy.

   The extension is defined using the methods specified in
   [SMTP-EXTENSIONS] to enable a server to announce that it is willing
   to accept this information from upstream mail servers.  Clients
   observing this announcement can then elect to send that information
   with the message when the latter is relayed.

   The message header defined in
   [I-D.DRAFT-KUCHERAWY-SENDER-AUTH-HEADER] serves a similar purpose and
   is simple to implement but has some moderate security implications,
   so a more secure channel is required.  In particular, the header
   block of a message is generally unauthenticated and is also typically
   relayed intact, meaning it is an obvious vector for data forgery.
   Thus, trusting part of a message header to be secure is a difficult
   problem.  This method establishes a much better trust boundary and
   removes that obvious attack vector.

   [UPDATE PRIOR TO FINAL VERSION] At the time of publication of this
   draft, [AUTH], [DKIM], [DOMAINKEYS], [SENDERID] and [SPF] are the
   published e-mail authentication methods in common use.  As various
   methods emerge, it is necessary to prepare for their appearance and
   encourage convergence in the area of interfacing these filters to
   electroic mail servers.

1.1.  Purpose

   The SMTP extension defined in this memo is expected to serve several
   purposes:

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                 [Page 3]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

   1.  Convey to MUAs from filters and Mail Transfer Agents (MTAs) the
       results of various message authentication checks being applied;

   2.  Provide a common location for the presentation of this data;

   3.  Create an extensible framework for specifying results from new
       authentication methods as such emerge;

   4.  Convey the results of message authentication tests to later
       filtering agents within the same "trust domain", as such agents
       might apply more or less stringent checks based on message
       authentication results;

   5.  Do all of this in a way not prone to forgery or
       misinterpretation.

1.2.  Definitions

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in RFC2119.

   An "MTA" is a Mail Transfer Agent, or any agent which uses [SMTP] or
   its extensions to format and transport a message.

   An "MDA" is a Mail Delivery Agent (also sometimes referred to as
   "LDA" or Local Delivery Agent), or any agent which has access to
   receive a message from an MTA and write it into the receiving user's
   "inbox".

   An "MUA" is a Mail User Agent, or any software which retrieves and
   displays messages on behalf of a user.

   A "border MTA" is an MTA which acts as a gateway between the general
   Internet and the users within an organizational boundary.

   A "delivery MTA" (or Mail Delivery Agent or MDA) is an MTA which
   actually enacts delivery of a message to a user's inbox or other
   final delivery.

   An "intermediate MTA" is an MTA which handles messages after a border
   MTAs and before a delivery MTA.

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                 [Page 4]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

                          +-----+   +-----+   +------------+
                          | MUA |-->| MSA |-->| Border MTA |
                          +-----+   +-----+   +------------+

                                                [Internet]

   +-----+   +-----+   +------------------+   +------------+
   | MUA |<--| MDA |<==| Intermediate MTA |<==| Border MTA |
   +-----+   +-----+   +------------------+   +------------+

   Generally it is assumed that the work of applying message
   authentication schemes takes place at a border MTA or a delivery MTA.
   This specification is written with that assumption in mind.  However,
   there are some sites at which the entire mail infrastructure consists
   of a single host.  In such cases, such terms as "border MTA" and
   "delivery MTA" may well apply to the same machine or even the very
   same agent.  It is also possible that message authentication could
   take place on an intermediate MTA.  Although this document doesn't
   specifically include such cases, they are not meant to be excluded
   from this specification.

   See [I-D.DRAFT-CROCKER-EMAIL-ARCH] for further discussion on e-mail
   system architecture.

   In the figure shown above, the double-lines indicate the portions of
   the transport of a message where this protocol would be applied.
   Note also that the Local Mail Transfer Protocol [LMTP] could benefit
   from a similar extension.

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                 [Page 5]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

2.  Framework for the Authentication Results Extension

   The framework for the Authentication Results Extension is as follows:

   1.  The name of the SMTP service extension is "Authentication-
       Results";

   2.  The SMTP buffer length is extended by 256 bytes on servers
       offering this service extension;

   3.  The EHLO keyword value associated with the extension is AUTHRES;

   4.  No parameter is used with the AUTHRES EHLO keyword;

   5.  An additional, optional parameter called AUTHRES is added to the
       MAIL command;

   6.  No additional parameters are added to the RCPT command;

   7.  No additional SMTP verbs are defined by this extension; and

   8.  The next section specifies how support for the extension affects
       the behaviour of a server and client SMTP session.

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                 [Page 6]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

3.  The Authentication-Results Service Extension

   When a client wishes to relay message authentication information to a
   downstream server, it first issues the EHLO command to the SMTP
   server.  If the SMTP server responds with code 250 to the EHLO
   command and the response includes the EHLO keyword AUTHRES, then the
   SMTP server has indicated that it can accept message authentication
   information from the client.

3.1.  Client Implementation

   Once the client has confirmed that support exists for this extension
   in the server to which it has connected, it may then elect to relay
   its collected message authentication results as part of an extended
   MAIL command.  The format of the extended command is defined below.

   More than one such result may be relayed in a single extended MAIL
   command.

   The authentication results relayed by this method need not have been
   established by the agent acting as SMTP client.  A client may elect
   to forward, by way of this extension, authentication results relayed
   to it about a message by previous clients.

3.2.  Server Implementation

   The SMTP server, upon receiving the EHLO command from the new client,
   may decide to advertise its support of this extension by including
   the AUTHRES keyword in its reply to the EHLO command.

   Although software support for the extension may be present, the
   server is not required to advertise such support if, for example, the
   client making the connection is not one from which the server wishes
   to trust such data.

   Upon receipt of authentication results from the upstream MTA, the
   receiving MTA may analyze the results and, if it decides the results
   are not favourable, may elect to return an SMTP result code other
   than the typical 250 success result to the extended MAIL command in
   order to reject the message.

   The authentication results ultimately received by an MDA may elect to
   store that information for ultimate consumption by the end user,
   either graphically or by way of filtering.  This can be accomplished
   using the message header field defined in
   [I-D.DRAFT-KUCHERAWY-SENDER-AUTH-HEADER] or by means of a new and as-
   yet-unspecified [IMAP] extension.

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                 [Page 7]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

3.3.  MAIL Command Extension

   The MAIL command is extended by this specification to allow the
   relaying of authentication results.  As there are several message
   authentication schemes in common and growing use, the extension must
   permit multiple results to be relayed for a given message.

   The extension adds an AUTHRES parameter to the MAIL command.  The
   formal definition:

      authres = 1*( "AUTHRES" "=" methodspec ":" propspec )
                 ; relays a single unit of authentication results
                 ; information

      methodspec = method "=" result
                 ; indicates which authentication method was evaluated

      propspec = ptype "." property "=" value
               ; an indication of which property of the message
               ; was evaluated by the authentication scheme being
               ; applied to yield the reported result

      method = token [ "/" version ]
             ; a method indicates which method's result is
             ; is represented by "value", and is one of the methods
             ; explicitly defined as valid in this document
             ; or is an extension method as defined below

      version = 1*( ALPHA / DIGIT ) 0*( "." 1*( ALPHA / DIGIT ) )
              ; indicates which version of the method was applied

      result = "pass" / "hardfail" / "softfail" / "neutral" /
                "temperror" / "permerror"
             ; an indication of the results of the attempt to
             ; authenticate the message

      ptype = "smtp" / "header" / "body" / "policy"
            ; indicates whether the property being evaluated was
            ; a parameter to an [SMTP] command, or was a value taken
            ; from a message header field, or was some property of
            ; the message body, or some other property evaluated by
            ; the receiving MTA

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                 [Page 8]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

      property = token
              ; if "ptype" is "smtp", this indicates which [SMTP]
              ; command provided the value which was evaluated by the
              ; authentication scheme being applied; if "ptype" is
              ; "header", this indicates from which header field the
              ; value being evaluated was extracted; if "ptype" is
              ; "body", this indicates the offset into the body at which
              ; content of interest was detected; if "ptype" is "policy"
              ; then this indicates the name of the policy which caused
              ; this header field to be added (see below)

      value = token / mailbox
            ; the value extracted from the message property defined
            ; by the "ptype.property" construction; if the value
            ; identifies a mailbox, then it is a "mailbox"
            ; as defined in section 3.4 of [MAIL];
            ; "mailbox" allows CFWS so something better should
            ; either be defined or referenced

   The "token" is as defined in section 5.1 of [MIME].

3.4.  Extension Fields

   Additional authentication method identifiers may be defined in the
   future by later revisions or extensions to this specification.
   Extension identifiers beginning with "x-" will never be defined as
   standard fields; such names are reserved for experimental use.
   Method identifiers NOT beginning with "x-" MUST be registered with
   the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) and published in an
   RFC.  See Section 5 for further details.

   Extension identifiers may be defined for the following reasons (for
   example):

   1.  To allow additional information from emergent authentication
       systems to be communicated to MUAs.  The names of such
       identifiers should reflect the name of the method being defined,
       but should not be needlessly long.

   2.  To allow the creation of "sub-identifiers" which indicate
       different levels of authentication and differentiate between
       their relative strengths, e.g. "auth1-weak" and "auth1-strong".

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                 [Page 9]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

4.  Conformance and Usage Requirements

   An agent acting as an SMTP server conforms to this specification if
   it offers the AUTHRES extension to upstream MTAs from which it would
   trust such data.  Servers that advertise AUTHRES in their EHLOs MUST
   expect the additional envelope information described in this draft.

   A client wishing to use this extension MUST first see AUTHRES as part
   of the EHLO response from a server.

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                [Page 10]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

5.  IANA Considerations

   IANA is requested to register this new SMTP extension and to create a
   new table as described below.

5.1.  Email Authentication Method Name Registry

   Names of message authentication methods supported by this
   specification must be registered with IANA, with the exception of
   experimental names as described in Section 3.4.

   New entries are assigned only for values that have been documented in
   a published RFC that has IETF Consensus, per [IANA-CONSIDERATIONS].
   Each method must register a name, the specification that defines it,
   one or more "ptype" values appropriate for use with that method, and
   which "property" value(s) should be reported by that method.

   The initial set of entries in this registry is as follows:

 +------------+---------+--------+----------------+--------------------+
 |   Method   | defined | ptype  | property       | value              |
 +------------+---------+--------+----------------+--------------------+
 |    auth    | RFC2554 | smtp   | auth           | authenticated user |
 +------------+---------+--------+----------------+--------------------+
 |    dkim    | RFC4871 | header | i              | value of           |
 |            |         |        |                | signature "i" tag  |
 +------------+---------+--------+----------------+--------------------+
 | domainkeys | RFC4870 | header | from           | value of From      |
 |            |         |        |                | header field       |
 |            |         |        +----------------+--------------------+
 |            |         |        | sender         | value of Sender    |
 |            |         |        |                | header field       |
 +------------+---------+--------+----------------+--------------------+
 |  senderid  | RFC4406 | header | name of header | value of header    |
 |            |         |        | field used by  | field used by PRA  |
 |            |         |        | PRA            |                    |
 |            |         +--------+----------------+--------------------+
 |            |         | smtp   | from           | envelope sender    |
 +------------+---------+--------+----------------+--------------------+
 |     spf    | RFC4408 | smtp   | from           | envelope sender    |
 +------------+---------+--------+----------------+--------------------+

   This is a duplicate of the registry created by
   [I-D.DRAFT-KUCHERAWY-SENDER-AUTH-HEADER] and can be removed and
   simply referenced if that draft reaches publication first.

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                [Page 11]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

6.  Security Considerations

   The following security considerations apply when applying or
   processing the Authentication-Results SMTP service extension:

6.1.  Trusting SMTP Clients

   As described in Section 3.2, an MTA server implementing this
   extension need not offer the AUTHRES service to an SMTP client if
   it's sure it won't care what that client has to say about the
   authenticity of the message.  This establishes a "trust boundary"
   within which SMTP clients are offered the extension; clients outside
   that boundary are not offered the extension.

   A client that tries to use the extension when it was not offered may
   be deemed a security risk.

   Although an obvious location of this boundary would be a published MX
   for the recipient's domain, this is not always the case.  Thus,
   implementors are advised to default to a "trust no-one" posture and
   have the trust boundary established explicitly by the user.

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                [Page 12]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

7.  References

7.1.  Normative References

   [MIME]     Freed, N. and N. Borenstein, "Multipurpose Internet Mail
              Extensions (MIME) Part One: Format of Internet Message
              Bodies", RFC 2045, November 1996.

   [SMTP]     Klensin, J., "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol", RFC 2821,
              April 2001.

   [SMTP-EXTENSIONS]
              Klensin, J., Freed, N., Rose, M., Stefferud, E., and D.
              Crocker, "SMTP Service Extensions", RFC 1869,
              November 1995.

7.2.  Informative References

   [AUTH]     Myers, J., "SMTP Service Extension for Authentication",
              RFC 2554, March 1999.

   [DKIM]     Allman, E., Callas, J., Delany, M., Libbey, M., Fenton,
              J., and M. Thomas, "DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)
              Signatures", RFC 4817, May 2007.

   [DOMAINKEYS]
              Delany, M., "Domain-based Email Authentication Using
              Public Keys Advertised in the DNS (DomainKeys)", RFC 4870,
              May 2007.

   [I-D.DRAFT-CROCKER-EMAIL-ARCH]
              Crocker, D., "Internet Mail Architecture",
              I-D draft-crocker-email-arch, May 2007.

   [I-D.DRAFT-KUCHERAWY-SENDER-AUTH-HEADER]
              Kucherawy, M., "Message Header Field for Indicating
              Message Authentication Status",
              I-D draft-kucherawy-sender-auth-header-08, October 2007.

   [IANA-CONSIDERATIONS]
              Alvestrand, H. and T. Narten, "Guidelines for Writing an
              IANA Considerations Section in RFCs", RFC 2434,
              October 1998.

   [IMAP]     Crispin, M., "Internet Message Access Protocol - Version
              4rev1", RFC 3501, March 2003.

   [LMTP]     Meyers, J., "Local Mail Transport Protocol", RFC 2033,

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                [Page 13]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

              October 1996.

   [SENDERID]
              Lyon, J. and M. Wong, "Sender ID: Authenticating E-Mail",
              RFC 4406, April 2006.

   [SPF]      Wong, M. and W. Schlitt, "Sender Policy Framework (SPF)
              for Authorizing Use of Domains in E-Mail, Version 1",
              RFC 4408, April 2006.

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                [Page 14]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

Appendix A.  Acknowledgements

   The author wishes to acknowledge the following for their review and
   constructive criticism of this proposal: (add names here)

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                [Page 15]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

Appendix B.  Examples

   This section presents some examples of the use of this protocol
   extension to relay message authentication results.  In these
   examples, "C" indicates data sent by the SMTP client and "S"
   indicates data sent by the SMTP server, and other annotations are
   enclosed in square brackets.

B.1.  Single authentication result

   Relaying a single authentication result:

      [connection established]
   S: 220 inbox.example.com SMTP server ready
   C: EHLO border.example.com
   S: 250-inbox.example.com Hello root(_at_)foobar(_dot_)example(_dot_)net
   S: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
   S: 250-SIZE
   S: 250-DSN
   S: 250-AUTHRES
   S: 250 HELP
   C: MAIL FROM:<me(_at_)example(_dot_)net>
AUTHRES=dkim=pass:header(_dot_)i=(_at_)example(_dot_)net
   S: 250 Sender OK
   C: RCPT TO:<postmaster(_at_)example(_dot_)com>
   S: 250 Recipient OK
   C: DATA
   S: 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
   C: [message body]
   C: .
   S: 250 l9NE6WYF026506 Message received
   C: QUIT
   S: 221 Bye!
      [connection closed]

   Example 1: Relaying a single authentication result

   In this example we see a border SMTP server relaying a message to an
   internal SMTP server which will do local delivery for example.com's
   users.  The SMTP extension is advertised by the server (it trusts
   this source as one likely to relay valid authentication data) and
   used by the client.  In this instance, the server validated the
   message's authenticity using [DKIM] and determined that the
   verification test passed.  Also relayed is information about what
   agent was responsible for affixing the signature.

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                [Page 16]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

Appendix C.  Public Discussion

   [REMOVE BEFORE PUBLICATION]

   Public discussion of this proposed specification is handled via the
   mail-vet-discuss(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org mailing list.  The list is open.
   Access to subscription forms and to list archives can be found at
   http://mipassoc.org/mailman/listinfo/mail-vet-discuss.

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                [Page 17]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

Author's Address

   Murray S. Kucherawy
   Sendmail, Inc.
   6475 Christie Ave., Suite 350
   Emeryville, CA  94608
   US

   Phone: +1 510 594 5400
   Email: msk+ietf(_at_)sendmail(_dot_)com

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                [Page 18]

Internet-Draft    Authentication-Results SMTP Extension     October 2007

Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The IETF Trust (2007).

   This document is subject to the rights, licenses and restrictions
   contained in BCP 78, and except as set forth therein, the authors
   retain all their rights.

   This document and the information contained herein are provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE REPRESENTS
   OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY, THE IETF TRUST AND
   THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS
   OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF
   THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED
   WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Intellectual Property

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; nor does it represent that it has
   made any independent effort to identify any such rights.  Information
   on the procedures with respect to rights in RFC documents can be
   found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
   assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
   attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use of
   such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this
   specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository at
   http://www.ietf.org/ipr.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF at
   ietf-ipr(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_)

Acknowledgment

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is provided by the IETF
   Administrative Support Activity (IASA).

Kucherawy                 Expires April 3, 2008                [Page 19]