Re: [mail-vet-discuss] Last Call: draft-kucherawy-sender-auth-header (Message Header Field for Indicating Message Authentication Status) to Proposed Standard

2008-11-24 12:26:34
Victor,

Victor Duchovni wrote:
I wanted to raise another issue. Should there be any discussion of the
semantics of "Authentication-Result" for message/rfc822 attachments
(nested messages). Clearly such headers cannot be assumed to be filtered
at the MTA layer and should be presumed untrusted.

I think you are trying to carry the semantics of the authentication that this
covers too far.  For example, I believe this mechanism is not intended for
personal or fine-grained authentication, as done by OpenPGP or S/Mime. One can
imagine extending it, but

Whether the body -- in its entirety -- is authenticated explicitly depends upon
the semantics of the particular authentication technique.  The specification
provides for some parameters that might be used to this end, but the details in
this way is not in this initial specification, nor should it be, in my opinion.

The specification's primary goal is to pass a single, overall results value.
Everything after that is far more subtle than needed for its initial use.

So perhaps MUA authors could benefit from explicit guidance to not assign
meaning to such headers found in nested messages.

This specification is not prescriptive with respect to what should be done with
the parametric information that is passed.  I suspect you are looking more for
some sort of broader 'best practices' document about the ways authentication
information passed to an MUA should be used.  It will probably be best to wait
until there are some real-world practices, before deciding which are best...

And finally, the bad news does not stop there, users can and do move mail
items between the desktop the mail-store, so in the final analysis, the
header cannot be trusted unless the MUA discards it from attached messages
when separating a nested message from its containing top-level message
(save to disk, save to mail folder, display as a separate message, ...).

What the MUA does with a message and with meta-information about the message is
far outside the scope of this specification.

More generally, you are discussing the issue of trust and the document already
has the limited discussion of that that is needed, for this specification.

It's not that your concerns aren't legitimate, its that they go beyond the
scope
of this document.  One could imagine a nice masters thesis about trust issues
for a message as it is moved around, across architectural models and even
across
services.

I am not entirely optimistic that MUAs will solve this problem.

Well, ok, one might therefore justify a doctoral thesis...

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking