Re: [mail-vet-discuss] Last Call: draft-kucherawy-sender-auth-header (Message Header Field for Indicating Message Authentication Status) to Proposed Standard

2008-12-01 20:49:33
I just read through the sender-auth-header-17 draft, and have a few
comments, at the last minute (which I apologize for).  I have gone
through the details with Murray over the phone, so I'll describe them in
general terms:

Header field ordering

In various places in the document, it talks about the need to insert the
Authentication-Results header field at the top, in order to give an MUA
using it an idea of "how far away" it was applied.  It doesn't work to
say "this needs to be handled as a trace header field" because that
can't be done retroactively; you can't be sure that some MTA isn't going
to twiddle the order.  You definitely can't depend upon it from a
security standpoint.

From talking with Murray, it sounds as though the intent is that the
ordering is primarily to help the MUA to find the most relevant header
field quickly.  This is fine with me, then.  Murray has some wording
changes that should make that more clear.

Authentication identifiers

I wasn't clear on whether the authentication identifiers are the
hostnames themselves, or some identifier representing the administrative
domain to which they apply.  Apparently the intent is the latter, which
I support.  That helps domains add additional verifying MTAs without
having to tell the entire user base that there's a new one.  We (Cisco)
currently have 18 or so verifying MTAs; who knows when we'll be adding more.

DKIM results

I'm a little concerned about "too much information" coming from the A-R
header field...we want to encourage everyone to treat messages with
broken signatures as if those signatures didn't exist, neither more or
less favorably than without a signature.  Returning different "fail" and
"neutral" results might tend to encourage people to do the opposite.
I'm a little sensitive about this because I have just been working with
two different domains that were rejecting messages with broken DKIM
signatures, and am trying to counsel them to do otherwise.

I'm also a little uneasy with the "policy" result, especially with the
last paragraph of 2.4.1 examples of making third-party signatures
unacceptable.  Again, "unacceptable" probably should be treated the same
as "not present" -- otherwise some of the nascent uses we have
envisioned (like mailing lists signing messages) will be torpedoed.

Iprev

It seems a little strange to me to introduce a new authentication method
in the auth-results draft.  If we need this, I think it should be in a
separate draft/RFC.  Auth-results is about representing the results of
authentication, not how to authenticate.

Header field removal

I suggested additional text cautioning about (sec 5 paragraph 2)
removing all auth-results header fields.  I can picture that some users
might want to trust Authentication-Results from specific domains (I
might trust ietf.org, for example) especially if it was signed as
described in section 8.1 #1.

Security considerations

8.3 sounds like more information on the 8.1 Forged Headers item, and
isn't a separate "consideration".  8.5 sounds like more of an SPF item
than an Auth-Results item, except that it might still apply here if
Iprev stays in the draft.

-Jim