mharc-users

Re: procmail log file...

2002-07-30 09:14:20
On July 30, 2002 at 10:58, Sean M Alderman wrote:

I seem to be getting a lot of entries in the Procmail log which say
Folder: /dev/null.  Is this supposed to happen?  A few of these such
entries are emails that should have gone into my archives.  And indeed
they aren't there.  Any ideas?

The /dev/null should be normal.  The procmail rules for each list
use the "c" flag so the message is copied down to later rules.
This is to handle messages that get cross-posted to multiple lists.
Because of this, any message that matches a list, will eventually
be copied down to the /dev/null rule.

If a message does not match any list, it gets caught by the
".catch" rule.  So, in general, each log will either show delivery
to /dev/null or to .catch.  There are exceptions if you have
CVS commit archives or use the Final option on lists to short-circuit
any cross-posting checks.

For some reason, procmail seems to only log the last rule delivered
to then to all delivered rules.

As for your claim of missing messages, please check again.  I have
not lost any messages in my archives, and at the worst, messages
have ended up in the .catch archive (which has caused me to adjust
lists.def accordingly).

Note, it makes no sense if some emails to a list are "lost" while
other are not.  Either all should be lost or all should be caught,
unless there are some variations to those messages.

Probably to be extra paranoid, I should add a variable to config.sh
that specifies the end rule delivery location.  It will default to
/dev/null.  This is to allow for one to do some debugging to see if
messages that end up at the bottom were properly delivered.
NOTE: Every message that matches a list will also be delivered to
the mailbox specified, so one cannot assume that if a message
makes it to the bottom has not been matched.  ALSO, any message that
matches a "final" rule (.catch, CVS commits, Finals) will not
make it to the end.

If you have a message you believe has been lost, if you can provide
your lists.def and the raw message, you can send them to me so
I can run some tests.

--ewh