mharc-users

Re: importing a spool into mharc

2002-08-09 10:48:17
On August 9, 2002 at 14:27, Lars Jorgensen wrote:

Earl Hood wrote:
What is readmsg?

A (standard?) *nix program to extract messages from an mbox file.
"readmsg foobox 5" will give you message number 5 from the file foobox.

I do not think it a standard program since I have never seen it
on Unix systems I have worked on (and it is not on my Linux systems).

I also tried opening the mbox with "mail -f foobox", and that worked
just fine - I could browse around and read messages without problems.

Because mail probablies just checks for lines starting with
"From " (without the quotes).  By default, this is what MHonArc
does.

A quick guess at what may solve your problem is that you may
need to modify the MHonArc's MSGSEP resource since the mbox
file you imported may have a different format for the message
separator.

I will try that.

 And from what I see above the "Lars Jorgensen"
is probably the problem.

Because of the quotation marks? I tried to remove them from both
messages (the same that are attached here), but it still didn't work.

It is not the quotes exactly, but the regex that common.mrc uses.
Even without the quotes, the regex pattern will still fail on
the line.

The reason common.mrc defines a stricter message separator detection
is that it is more common for message body lines starting with
"From " to not be escaped, which can cause some MUAs to believe
the line signifies the start of a new message.  It used to be
common practice for an MTA to insert a ">" before lines starting
with "From " so the MUA would not be fooled.

The stricter regex helps avoid the problem of unescaped
"From " lines by requiring the line to match a specific pattern,
a pattern commonly used to denote message separation.

Your choices are:

1. Reset MSGSEP resource to its default value.  This can be done by
   removing the MSGSEP resource setting in common.mrc.in, or by
   explicitly setting it to the default value as shown in the MHonArc
   docs.

2. You can use a more lenient MSGSEP setting, but one that may still
   provide some protection from message data having lines starting
   with "From ".  The following should work:

    <MsgSep>
    ^From \S+.*\d+:\d+:\d+
    </MsgSep>

   This still requires that a message separator contain something
   that looks like a time specification.

   BTW, the extract-mesg.cgi program uses the above regex.

--ewh