mharc-users

Re: filter mail messages

2003-03-21 16:27:12
On March 21, 2003 at 14:09, Sunita Rajagopal wrote:

How can I prevent mharc from not processing mails coming from a particular
email addresses.

Either pre-filtering the messages before mharc sees it, or modify
mharc to allow custom procmail rules when filtering raw mail.

The MHonArc component provides mechanisms for excluding messages, but
if you want to prevent mail showing up in the raw archives, you have
to do something like above.

Is there any ways I can also make mharc accept mail messages only from one
domain, or known domains.

Same solution as above.

Note, for the account that is running mharc, you could define a
.procmailrc to be used for when mail is delivered to the mail spool
directory (/var/spool/mail).  mharc does not filter mail as the MTA
(e.g. sendmail) delivers mail.  It does it afterwards.  Therefore, you
can do message pre-filtering during the MTA delivery stage before
mharc sees the messages.

For example, for my private mail archives, I have a special user
account for receiving and processing the archives (using mharc).
However, I want all list admin messages sent to the account forwarded
to me, before mharc ever sees the data.  Therefore, in the home
directory of the account I have the following .procmailrc:

  :0
  * (^From:(.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?(majordomo@|mailman-owner@|.*-request@|.*-help@))
  ! earl(_at_)earlhood(_dot_)com

The system is linux running sendmail with procmail as the local delivery
agent.  Therefore, the .procmailrc is invoked each time sendmail receives
a message for my archive account.

For systems that do not use procmail as the local delivery agent, but
procmail is installed, you can have procmail invoked during delivery
using a .forward file in the home directory (assuming that sendmail
is the MTA):

  "|/usr/bin/procmail #<username_here>"

--ewh