mharc-users

Re: Netscape 4.x stylesheet...

2003-04-01 14:35:00
On April 1, 2003 at 16:11, "Sean M. Alderman" wrote:

  I'm curious if any of the mharc users have built a decent looking
stylesheet for mharc which will render correctly in a netscape 4.x
browser.  One of my users suggested that it might be worthwhile to look
into "fixing" the mail archives so that they can be read in Netscape 4.x
browsers (which a somewhat large portion of our users still use).  In
poking around I noticed that it seems to be only the styles used in the
table tags that cause problems.  Specifically the background: black;
style causes the entire table to render in black, with the exception of
the links and text which render in their set color.  So I thought I'd
ask if anyone's played around with a stylesheet that renders in NS 4.x
before I try and make one.

I doubt anyone is working on one.  My past experience with Netscape 4.x
and stylesheets tells me that NS 4 has horrible stylesheet support.
Using things like <font> tags worked better, and heaven forbid you
should mix CSS with <font> tags.

An option is to avoid stylesheets altogether and modify the MHonArc
resource files to generate older-style HTML.  Along with that, reduce
the use of tables since NS 4 is notoriously slow in table rendering,
which nested tables would be needed to get a similiar rendering
appearance in NS 4 as the current stylesheet provides.

In sum, if you need to cater to NS 4, you will be more successful in
modify the HTML markup generated vs using a stylesheet due to the poor
stylesheet support NS 4 provides.

--ewh