mharc-users

Re: mharc "user"

2003-08-02 12:00:09
(Note: there is a mharc-users lists:
 <http://www.mhonarc.org/archive/info/mharc-users.html>.  I'm sending
 my response there and bcc'ing the private poster.)

The mharc Installation document suggests

The typical usage model for mharc is to have a special archive account to
perform all mharc-related duties.  The account is subscribed to all mailing
lists you want archived.  For example, say the account you use is mailarch
and the mail address for the account is mailarch(_at_)example(_dot_)com . For
each list
you archive, the address mailarch(_at_)example(_dot_)com must be subscribed
to each list
.

But the example account, mailarch, is never mentioned again.

Because the mentioning of "mailarch" is to just provide the usage
context of mharc.  Plus, the name "mailarch" is arbitrary.  You can
use any account name.

Is the (unstated) recommendation to use the "Pathname to install mharc" as
the homedir for this account?

mharc can be installed anywhere, but under the user account is typically
the norm due to file permission issues.  Wherever you install, you
will need to make sure that your web server has access to the mbox and
html locations so people can access the pages and make sure to edit
config.sh to properly reflect file path and URL locations.

I presume I could have multiple accounts, subscribing to multiple mailing
lists, sharing a home?

No.  You only need one account.  Mharc is designed to handle incoming
mail from multiple lists and having the mail filtered to each list's
respective archive.

For example, the mhonarc.org archives are managed under a single user
account.  At home, I run my own private archives with mharc with
a single user account, and I archive many lists.

For example, I
don't see anything about how to USE mharc from the web :-(

mharc does not have a web-based administration interface.  All admin
functionality is currently done from the shell.

--ewh