mharc-users

Re: Best practice for removing virus messages...

2003-09-09 22:28:41
On September 3, 2003 at 10:12, "Sean M. Alderman" wrote:

Can I hand edit the procmailrc.mharc file to add rules which will filter
SoBig viruses out before mharc processes the mail?

Yes, but you lose those edits if you rerun 'make' or the mk-procmailrc
script.

I thought by now we'd be past this and that the infrastructure guys
would have been able to come up with a way to filter these messages, but
no such luck.  Last night two of my archived lists received over 4000
Sobig emails.  I was thinking perhaps I could put a procmail rule in
like:...

:O:
* ^Subject:.*(Re: Details|Re: Approved|Re: Re: My details|Re: Thank
you!|Re: That movie|Re: Wicked screensaver|Re: Your application|Thank
you!|Your details)
/dev/null

If the mail to be archived is first delivered to /var/spool/mail (or
something simliar), why not run procmail on the message as they
are delivered to the spool.  This way you can establish all kinds
of pre-archive filtering rules without messing with mharc.

I do something like this to deal with list admin messages.
See <http://www.mhonarc.org/mharc/doc/install.html#listsadmin>.

Now, if procmail is not your MTA's default deliver agent (most
linux system use procmail), you will have to invoke it yourself.
Under sendmail, you do this in your .forward file.

--ewh