mharc-users

Re: archiving ezmlm lists

2005-11-16 15:50:58
On November 13, 2005 at 15:03, Aaron Goldblatt wrote:

I'm trying to archive an ezmlm list using mhonarc/mharc, via the mail
spool functionality, rather than reading ezmlm's archives directly.
Searching the mharc and mhonarc list archives has produced references to
using mhonarc's MH support, but this is inconsistent with how I've set
it up.  For security reasons, mharc/mhonarc run as a user, and ezmlm
runs as a different user, and I want the ezmlm archives hidden from
other users, so a direct read isn't appropriate.

OLD SETUP:
lib/lists.def:
Name: abbydisc
Address: abbydisc(_at_)goldblatt(_dot_)net

produced this:
log/procmail.log
 From
abbydisc-return-17-mhonarc=abbygrrl(_dot_)goldblatt(_dot_)net(_at_)goldblatt(_dot_)net

Sun Nov 13 19:17:58 2005
 Subject: [ABBYDISC] test
  Folder:
/dev/null                                                        1243

The /dev/null termination is normal since procmail only logs the
last match.  I.e. The procmailrc file is structured to have a message
tested against each and every rule (unless Final is active for a list).
A /dev/null entry should indicate that the message matched a rule
above it.  Check your raw mbox archive to verify.

A log showing the Folder to be the catch archive indicates that
no rule matched for a message, as your later log snippet shows.

How do I set up lists.def to convince procmail to sort the mail
correctly?  I'd prefer a lists.def solution to make upgrades and whatnot
easier, without having to protect procmail.

"/dev/null" does _not_ indicate the message was lost and mainly a
deficiency in procmail's logging facility.  All list rules use :c
modifier when delivering to prevent the first matching rule from
terminating processing (in order to handle messages that may be
cross-posted to multiple lists).

--ewh