mharc-users

Re: Customizing the mhonarc archives

2006-06-23 20:36:01
I'd like to incorporate the "google adsense" code to have google adds
displayed on the bottom of every page. I had a look at the bottom one of
the two examples you have posted above. I am however unable to determine
how to incorporate the "*mhonarc -rcfile <resources/rcfile.html>
myresource.mrc* " in the mharc scripts ? I am sure you don't want to be
bothered with this, but just on the off-chance that you do have pointers
I'd appreciate it very much if you can share them with me ?

You do not have to work with "-rcfile ..." directly with mharc.

If you following the TIP give in the mharc installation document,
you can put your adsense code in the default.mrc.in file.  It
seems like you may want to set the MSGPGEND resource, assuming
you want the ads at the very bottom of each page.

The mhonarc.org archives have the ads off to the right, and this
requires a little more work since it requires knowledge of how
mharc sets various mharc resources.

What I've done is created a Google ads resource file at placed
it in the lib/mrc directory.  You can view it at:
<http://www.mhonarc.org/archive/lib/mrc/_googleads.mrc.in>.

Then for each archive on what ads to be displayed, I include the file.
See <http://www.mhonarc.org/archive/lib/mrc/ietf-822.mrc.in> for
an example.

BTW, you can provide archive-specific resource settings by
creating a resource file lib/mrc/<archive-name>.mrc.in.

If you want ads to show up in all your archives, put the code
in lib/default.mrc.in (or lib/common.mrc.in if you are not using
the default.mrc.in tip).

--ewh

P.S. Remember to do 'make configure' when you edit .in files.