mhonarc-dev

Contact form module

2004-01-08 12:38:14
A year ago I wrote the CPAN module CGI::ContactForm that generates web contact forms. I'm now thinking of making a sub module available that would make it easy to customize a MHonArc archive so that its message authors can be emailed via a contact form.

This is the current status of CGI::ContactForm::MHonArc:

    ftp://ftp.gunnar.cc/pub/gunnar/mhonarc/MHonArc.pm.txt

Assuming that CGI::ContactForm, including the new sub module, is installed, this is the approach:

- Via the resource file, a form button is added to the messages that submits (method GET) the message ID and archive path to a CGI script:

    ftp://ftp.gunnar.cc/pub/gunnar/mhonarc/contact.pl.txt

(Instead of submitting the archive path, optionally the full path to the database file can be passed as an argument when calling the getmsgvalues() function.)

- The sub module grabs the fromname, fromaddress and subject from .mhonarc.db, and those values are passed to CGI::ContactForm when its main function is called.

- The values are preserved through the session via a cookie.

Well, that's about it. A simple change of the resource file and configuration of contact.pl, and you can then email any message author via the generated form. You can study the result in my demo archive:

    http://www.gunnar.cc/mhonarc/demo/maillist.html

I would of course appreciate your feedback. Would it be a suitable customization option for MHonArc archives? Weaknesses in the code? Anything else that I missed? Does the approach work for mharc managed archives, or would that require mods?

Looking forward to your comments. :)

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson