mhonarc-dev

[bug #17579] message ID's are censored along with addresses

2006-08-31 01:23:16

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
        Operating System: Linux
            Perl Version: 5.8.8
       Component Version: 2.6.16
           Fixed Release:

Details:

I'm not sure it is worth the risk of false
negatives, but maybe it makes sense to consult
the message-ID database when deciding whether
something is an address or not. It would be really
cool to support automatic linking to the
relevant HTML page if a message-ID matches.

I know I once saw a mailer that stuck the sender's
address inside the message-id; this caused some
grief. Maybe it is stultifyingly rare, though.

============================

On the archive pages, messaged IDs are treated like e-mail addresses and
bunged. Is there something that you can do about this?

An example can be seen at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/tbudl%40thebat.dutaint.com/msg91844.html

----

The message-id in question is:

 14738154(_dot_)20060824170821(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com

I don't see an obvious way to exclude it and include
real email addresses using a regexp.

Do you have a suggestion?

----

Mail Archive Support @ 2006-8-28 9:34:07 PM
"Message IDs Munged"
<mid:2dd4e38b0608281934s554d96bch10c00b166e32cf5d(_at_)mail(_dot_)gmail(_dot_)com>

I don't see an obvious way to exclude it and include real email
addresses using a regexp.

Do you have a suggestion?

If it is prefixed with mid or msgid, perhaps? Or, maybe if the list in
question already contains a message with that message ID (this doesn't work
when lists refer to each other, however). Aside from those, no, I cannot
think of a good way to  simultaneously protect e-mail addresses and display
message IDs.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?17579>