mhonarc-users

Re: RFC: Character sets in MHonArc (was private Re: MHonArc DOC )

1999-03-27 00:33:54
"Earl" == Earl Hood <ehood(_at_)hydra(_dot_)acs(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu>
writes:
    Earl> Comments?  Especially from Japanese-based users of MHonArc?

    Earl> Are any users setting the <META http-equiv="Content-Type"
    Earl> content="text/html; charset=XXXX"> in their MHonArc
    Earl> generated pages?  Or specifying a particular charset through
    Earl> the HTTP server?

Earl,

        I'm doing:

<HTML lang="ja">
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-2022-JP">
<HEAD>

as recommend in Ken Lunde's "CJKV Information Processing". It seems
that some browsers look at LANG attribute, and others the
charset. This seems to work. Netscape 4.5 on unix seems to get it
right, most of time. Sometimes I have to hit reload to get it
recognize it though. I'm still trying to get handle on this.

Since there are many encodings in Japan, he also recommends adding a
comment at top the page, which contains character that are unique
across Japanese encodings. This is to help the browser's automatic
encoding detection to work properly.

<!-- tokyo - used for automatic encoding detection -->

"tokyo" would be the actual two characters for Tokyo. I have not tried
this yet.

Regards,

        Andy