mhonarc-users

Re: converting old archives to date-based directories

2000-02-03 22:26:56
On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Peter Green wrote:

Hi all! I've searched the ml archive to no avail on this...

I want to convert an existing MHonArc archive from a single directory to
multiple subdirectories based on month. I understand how to set up the cron
job to do this for new messages, but I have about three years of archives
(both MHonArc HTML pages, as well as the original messages) I'd like to do
this to as well.

Is there a good/fast/easy way of doing this?

 Good (Platform Independent)
--------------------------------

        1. Get your favourite email client to sort all your messages by
           date.

        2. Select messages based on a date range and save all the selected
           messages to a new folder.

        3. Repeat step 2.

        4. Run MHonArc

Good (works only on UNIX )
--------------------------

        1. Get procmail <http://www.procmail.org/> so as to get
           the 'formail' utility.

        2. Use 'formail' to sort the messages into folders based on date
           of the headers etc...

        3. Run MHonArc

/pg
--