mhonarc-users

Re: Suppressing email address in existing archive...

2000-05-09 10:42:30
On Tue, 9 May 2000 09:44:40 +0100 (BST)
John Beranek <john(_dot_)beranek(_at_)pace(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

  I've got an existing archive of a mailing list, and people on
the mailing list have just started mumbling about privacy and spam
protection...so, is it possible to remove everything after the @
in "from" addresses in the existing archive?

I restroactively munge the HTML that MHonArc produces to corrupt
email addresses. via a simple sed script.  See

  ftp://ftp.kanga.nu/pub/Kanga.Nu/MHonArc/emailmunge

Note that there is a known problem with this script.  MHonArc
fequently (not always) appears to re-write the last N message files
on each run (I presume based on the thread linkages).  This results
in some messages being re-written and then not re-munged due to the
filename cacheing done via ./.emunge.db.  One of my list members has
hacked the script to work around this (there's a bug report with a
copy of the hacked script under http://www.kanga.nu/tasks/) but I
haven't checked or tested the details of what he did.

--
J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu