mhonarc-users

Re: Original source file name?

2001-05-31 23:45:13
On Thu, 31 May 2001 11:02:36 -0700
Earl Hood <ehood(_at_)hydra(_dot_)acs(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu> wrote:

On May 31, 2001 at 10:06, J C Lawrence wrote:

Hurm.  Yeah, It would be trivial to write a little tool to just
symlink each message against its MessageID.  (I can't do renames
s the mailstore is regularly processed by real MH tools)
<testing> Yup, that'll work.  Thanks.

To save inodes, you could use a BerkeleyDB, ndbm, or similiar type
of data store to map message-ids to filenames.  There are modules
in Perl for interfacing with these type of files with a hash
interface.  Other popular scripting languanges probably provide
the same.  The key is to use a database format that does not have
key and value length limitations that could cause you problems.

Good point.  As the ultimate goal is to shove the entire message
base into an SQL DB (I've got users begging for things like
thread-bounded searches and the ability to gen meta views of an
archive), I'll probably head that way.

While its a gruesome hack, I'm ultimately looking to use MHonArc as
a front end processor which writes scripts as output which are then
executed to input the message and all its particulars inputs into an
SQL DB.  What I haven't figured out yet is how to properly extract
the thread linkings for input into the DB, as well as how to
effectively (ie scalably) provide the thread database to MHonArc
when archiving a message (we're talking hundreds of thousands of
messages, possibly small order millions).

At that point my main interests in MHonArc are its excellant MIME
and charset handling (damned fine job BTW).  I'd like to also use it
to build the thread graph rather than dynamically building it off
the References/In-Reply-To headers dynamically as MHonArc properly
handles the matching-subject thread hits.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows