mhonarc-users

Re: New look for mhonarc.org mail archives

2002-08-26 11:43:01
On August 26, 2002 at 08:29, Gary Frederick wrote:

The example archive has
  <!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML//EN">
could you change that to perhaps
or one of the others in the W3 catalog?

Since there is non-standard markup, I should probably not have a
doctype declaration.  I use the generic "-//W3C//DTD HTML//EN" since
the 4.01 spec includes "4.01" in the public identifier.  This way,
"-//W3C//DTD HTML//EN" can be mapped (via a catalog) to an appropriate
DTD including non-standard extensions for any validation tasks.

If you plan on using the resource file as a template for your archives,
just change the doctype declaration to something you prefer if you
plan on doing some kind of off-line validation of files.

You use <nobr>, That's an extension to the html standard. Then again, I don't
 know of a standard way to do what <nobr> does :-(

Exactly.  It is probably possible to get a similiar effect with CSS,
but the generated markup is also designed to deal with non-CSS, or
minimal-CSS, clients inorder to get the desired rendering.