mhonarc-users

Transformer help

2003-11-21 06:25:56
Hi,

I'm doing an engineering design project for school in which our group will
design a power distribution system for Ontario (a province in Canada).  We need
to keep in mind the provincial budget for the task.

We have figured the most cost-effective method to do this would be to improvise
the existing power system.  Our group decided that digging up and replacing
transmission lines would be extremely expensive and thus impractical (according
to our calculations, it would take billions of dollars).  We have also
researched and found that an improvement in one-tenth of the efficiency of
one-million transformers in a single year would save 600 000 MW of power...but
the average efficiency of transformers now is already 97%.

We also know that much of the losses (winding and core) in transformers are
attributed to hysteresis (part of the wire remains magnetized due to resistance
of the metal wire).  To reduce hysteresis, we could either use superconducting
wires, change the material of the wires to a metal with less resistance, or
increase the gauge of the wire (whcih would make the wire heavier, and more
costly) but this all seems either impractical or not innovative enough for a
design project.

Does anyone know any other way to reduce hysteresis (esp. reduce it
significantly)?  Does anyone have any other recommendations for our design
project?  It'll be really helpful...

Thanks,
Jasmine