mhonarc-users

Re: split archive into subdirectories, retaining threads

2004-10-14 18:45:43
On October 13, 2004 at 11:11, Simon Bowden wrote:

This necessarily needs to be split into subdirectories (32k directory
entry limit). However, threading is critical to the purpose of this
archive, so I can't afford to implement the usual solution of a separate
archive per month, because threads don't persist between months.

Is this possible?

Yes, but not with the current mhonarc code base.  I.e.  You have to
do some coding to make it happen.

I've had a bit of a look through the code, and maybe it could be done
quickly by changing msgnum_filename in mhutil.pl to use
get_time_from_index, and then print that into the filename with DIRSEP...

Possibly, but there may be other parts of mhonarc that this can adversly
affect.  I think doing things so custom filenaming can be done, but if
you introduce a directory portion, things can break, like with the
resolution of various resource variables.

I figured I'd ask first though before getting too far along that track.

If you are serious about implementing a solution, I recommend subscribing
to mhonarc-dev for any further discussions.