mhonarc-users

Attachments & Security

2005-06-01 16:48:53
Has anyone found a good solution for attachments & security?

I'd like to save attachments, but am concerned about the security.

There are two aspects:

1) Server.  This can be solved, specifically by controlling the path,
file name, and size of the attachments.

2) User.  I don't see how this could be solved.  I don't want my site
to have links to virii and other nasties that could be sent in email.
Yes, I could scan them, but scanning is never perfect.

Any ideas?

(One compromise is to store attachments in some akward encoding, like
base 64 - if the user is proficient enough to decode them, he should
be able to handle the security risks.  Needless to say, this is not a
good solution...)