problem with documents in Japanese

2000-04-05 14:47:27
I sent a message yesterday about having a problem with
searching documents in certain Japanese encodings.
I think I understand the problem now.  I should have
set the enviromental variable LANG=ja before creating the index
with "export LANG=ja.
So I did, but now when I run mknmz I get the following warning:

[root(_at_)venus test_ind]# mknmz /home/msokolov/test_jap
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "ja"

Apparently, my settings are not recognized. I know that this problem
is not directly related to Namazu, but maybe you still could help me out
with setting the locale for japanese. I am working on Linux.
Thank you in advance,
Maxim Sokolov