Proper use of -Y, --no-delete option

2001-09-26 15:19:24

The (English) docs provides little information about the -Y option.
I found out that I can use -Y to do selective updating of an index
without having an entire directory structure rescanned.  For example,
if I have the following directories:

        2001-07/
        2001-08/
        2001-09/

Part of a single namazu index, I can run 'mkmnz -Y 2001-09' to update
the index for any files in 2001-09, but preserve the index information
for 2001-07 and 2001-08 because I know 2001-09 will be the only directory
with any changes.

My question is, "Is this a proper use of this option?"  It appears
to be so, but the description of it does lead to some doubt since
there is --update option with sematics I am not sure about.  Also,
is the method better for overall performance since namazu is not
having to scan the entire file set for changes?  Will there be any
search performance degradation using this method of updating?

Thanks,

--ewh