Is exact subject searching possible

2002-08-30 22:38:33
I'm trying to see if namazu can be used to provide same-subject listings
for a given message in a mail archive indexed with namazu.  For example,
if the subject of the message is,

  Namazu is cool

I would have a link like "[More with this subject...]" that would
invoke namazu.cgi with the following query:

  +subject:"Namazu is cool"

The problem I am having is when the subject contains quotes.  For
example:

  Hello "World!"

Namazu uses quotes for phrase searching, so the following will
definitely not work:

  +subject:"Hello "World!""

I tried the following:

  +subject:"Hello World!"

(i.e. remove the quotes in the subject text)
but it does not work also.

Is there a way to escape quotations in namazu?  I tried backslashes,
but got nothing.

Will I have to do something like the following:

  +subject:Hello +subject:World

which could get ugly if the subject is long and causes more
work to be done in the search process.

BTW, I have noticed that quotes in subject text is preserved
in NMZ.field.subject.  Is the best solution to access the
NMZ.field.* files directly, as documented at
<http://www.namazu.org/doc/nmz.html.en>, for what I need?

This relates to a questions I had in a previous question,
"How stable are the file formats used by Namazu?"  In my case,
I am only concerned about the NMZ.field.* files.

--ewh