[Namazu-users-en] Kakasi - Translation Problem

2004-12-08 18:46:02

Hi,
          I am Sunil, a software engineer working in India. I am working for
Japanese customers. But unfortunately I don't know Japanese. In one project I
need to translate japanese text in kanji, katakana or in hiragana to romaji.
While browsing through internet, I found kakasi as a suitable software for it.

As per the instruction in one site, I have run the executable of kakasi as
follows :

kakasi -s -U -Ja -Ha -Ka <kanji.txt> romaji.txt

and the kanji.txt contains ??????.

Its translation in romaji must be nichiyobi. but the text file romaji.txt
contains the data

RU SUI??yu??JAKU#129;.

And for all translation, the romaji.txt contains RU SUI as the first
characters. Couls you please explain why this hapens ?

Actually my requirement is to convert kanji characters and kana characters to
romaji characters. Could you pls say the options that I need to add with
kakasi.exe for this ?

Also the compilation of source file generates many errors. Could you please
explain, what c and header files I need to run kakasi program ?  Also I need to
tokenize the japanese text. I think kakasi tokenizing the japanese text before
translation ?  Can you explain how ?

So please help me .

Thanks in advance,

Sunil