Suggestion to MH

1993-01-20 12:59:35
In current version (6.8) of mh, while RPOP is enabled, the mail is sent to
the user's pop mail mailbox specified in /usr/spool/pop/POP.  However, the
ownership of this mail box is set to be owned by "pop", and the format of this
file is not quiet the same as the format understand by standard unix mail tools.
Therefore, this made impossible for users who want to read their mail both
using pop mail front end and standard unix mail program such as /usr/ucb/mail.

I resolved this problem by specifying the pop mailbox to be the same as
users' mail file in the incoming mail spooler (/usr/spool/mail/user) and letting
pop mail retrive mail directly from this file. However, this file is owned by
each individual user so popd can't lock the file.  To fix this, I modified
a line in support/pop/popser.c from (void) setuid(pop_uid) to
(void) setuid(getuid()).

If this change does not cause any other problems that I am not aware of, I
would like to suggest this to be incorporated into next release of mh.

Thanks, Ben Shang
|                                Benjamin Shang                              |
| The Library & Center for Knowledge Management | Voice: (415) 476-9935      |
| University of California                      | Fax  : (415) 476-4653      |
| 530 Parnassus Avenue                          |                            |
| San Francisco, CA 94143-0840                  |
shang(_at_)knowman(_dot_)lib(_dot_)ucsf(_dot_)edu |