WANT TO BE A COUNSELOR

1996-01-29 20:40:58
Hi:  I've reached a point in my life (38) where I am trying to decide what I
want
to be "when I grow up" now that my kids are getting old enough, etc.  I have
always wanted to be some sort of counselor or therapist, etc. but never
thought it was possible since I didn't attend college.  It has recently occurred
to me that it is NEVER too late to go back to school, so that is what I want to
do.  But it's so hard knowing how to get started.  I haven't the foggiest idea
what type of degree I need to become a counselor or therapist, and no idea
how long this may take.  Am I looking at 4 years full time?   If so I'm still
willing to do it, but need to know where to start.  I'm going to try and find
some phone numbers for local colleges and see if they have some sort of
"career counselors" for me to talk to.  If anyone has any advice or suggestions
for me I'd greatly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.   Sue777