adding DSN support to MH

1996-02-15 22:39:20
A while ago I said I'd have a go at this, but only now have I managed
to find a free moment to think about it...  Since I've not having
hacked at the innards of MH before, some of this is probably bogus,
but here goes anyway:

I think we want for the mail sending commands to take some extra
command line/mh_profile options, say "-ret", and "-notify" to match
the names used in RFC 1891 ?  The arguments might as well be the same
as the extensions to the SMTP RCPT and MAIL commands, e.g.

  -ret full
  -ret hdrs
  -notify never
  -notify success
  -notify failure
  -notify delay

Since you can ask for notification in more than one of the
success/failure/delay cases, I think I'd go for command separating
the values, e.g.

  -notify success,failure

Does this look OK ?

To get these settings into mts/sendmail/smail.c, I guess either the
parameter list of sm_init() could be extended, or they could be added
to the externals passed via the zotnet/mts.h #include ?  Is there a
preferred approach ?

A couple of loose ends ...

You can ask for different notifications for each recipient, e.g.
always for Andrew, never for Norma, and delays only for Dave.  I'm
inclined to skip this for now and ask for the same notification for
everyone.

You can indicate the "original recipient" of a message (ORCPT - on a
per RCPT basis), and give the message as a whole an envelope ID
(ENVID in MAIL command).  I think MH probably ought to generate both
of these.  Does that sound reasonable ?

Martin