exmh can't display messages with indexes > 9999 ?

1998-03-15 13:59:40
Hello,

This seems to be an exmh problem, although maybe it is an nmh issue.  I'm
running nmh version 0.22 and exmh version 2.0.2 on a Debian hamm system.

Message indexes in my inbox have grown to beyond 13000 messages.  But exmh
can't display any message with index greater than 9999 (five digits).  The
first line of these messages show up in the Table of Contents, but nothing
appears in the Message Display window.  The message index for these
messages shows up as three digits pre-pended by a '?', e.g. '?368'.  If I
click on a message with index less than 10000 (no '?'), then the message
appears in the Message Display window.

nmh seems to be able to handle the five digit indexes OK.  I can do
'show +inbox 13520' for instance, and read the message.  So it seems like
exmh can't handle message indexes greater than four digits?  Or maybe there
is a configuration for this?

This all seems to beg the question: Does nmh allow message indexes ever to
"wrap-around" at a certain limit or get recycled?

BTW, I have been using mutt ever since I first ran into this problem.  It
doesn't have this problem because it uses an indirect index to refer to
messages.

Thanks for any insight anyone might be able to provide.

--ken

                              __
  Ken Lauffenburger          / /                    __  __
  ken(_at_)efficient(_dot_)com         / /  D e b i a n  G N U \ \/ /
                       ________http://www.debian.org________