Subject: 03.09 Fixing "cannot fopen and lock /var/spool/mail/(user)".
From: Patrick(_dot_)Wambacq(_at_)esat(_dot_)kuleuven(_dot_)ac(_dot_)be
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 15:00:16 +0200

  One should put the following lines in the mtstailor (mts.conf in
  nmh) file:

     lockldir:
     lockstyle: 1

  This prevents MH from using kernel level locking, and uses lock
  files instead.  It solved the problem for me on two different
  architectures.  When the lockldir entry is left empty as above, the
  lock file is put in the same directory as the file to be locked. If
  another directory is wanted, its name should be put here.

 [SNIP of not applicable tricks]

|      Patrice ALLAIS      |     E-mail : allais(_at_)lucent(_dot_)com

|   Software Development   |     Ext.   : (+33) [0]4 92 29 [39 02]    |
|  Mail  : Octel Communications SA                                    |
|          Aeropole - ZAC Arenas - 455, Promenade des Anglais         |
|          06299 NICE Cedex 3 - FRANCE                                |
|  Phone : (+33) [0]4 92 29 39 39  - Fax   : (+33) [0]4 92 29 39 00   |