Re: Wrapping replies

2002-08-20 15:06:02
On August 16, 2002 at 10:48, Sean Kamath wrote:

Lately, people here at work have really turned on the flowed text
rather than wrap it.  In a way, this makes some sense -- let the mail
reader wrap the text (and exmh does a fine job of it).

But this makes for a problem on quoting replies. If there were some
standardized way to mark a quote, this would be a non-issue, in that
you could just leave everything non-word-wrapped, but still quoted.
However, everything I've seen wraps responses.

In my repl_format file, I have:

body:component=">",compwidth=0,overflowtext=">",overflowoffset=0

But this does a hard wrap at the width, resulting in (quoted) chopped
up words (which makes it hard to rewrap)

I ignore the problem.  I interact with people using "format=flowed"
and I have no issues dealing with them, or any complaints about how
my responses looses the "auto-wrapping".  The format=flowed format
was designed so it can co-exist, so do not worry about.  A decent
MUA will make sure that lines are not excessively line (as described
in RFC 2646), so when your reply filter is applied to the message,
there should not be any ugly breaks, and if there is, so what.

--ewh