Re: refile changes cur

2002-09-24 02:33:25
* Jerry Peek <jpeek(_at_)jpeek(_dot_)com> [020924 12:07]:
Moshe Kaminsky <kaminsky(_at_)math(_dot_)huji(_dot_)ac(_dot_)il> wrote:
I discovered that refile changes the cur message in the source
directory to be the last refiled message. This means that cur will
point to a message that no longer exists after refile is done. What is
the idea?

After rmm removes a message, cur also doesn't change.  That makes
command sequences like this possible:

% show
% rmm
% next   (or: show next)

Maybe your question is more about the fact that, when refile removes
*multiple* messages, it sets cur to the *last* message refiled, instead
of the first?  AFAIK, this is true of most nmh programs -- for instance,
"show 1 3 18" sets cur to 18.

I think I remember some debate, years ago, about this behavior.  The
only conclusion I can remember, though, is "if not the last message,
then *which* message?".  Comments, anyone else?

Jerry
--
Jerry Peek, jpeek(_at_)jpeek(_dot_)com, http://www.jpeek.com/

I think that it's perfectly reasonable that if you refile (or rmm) the
_current_ message, then cur doesn't change. However, if you refile some
other message (or sequence of messages), why should it affect cur? What
I expected is that cur just won't be changed by refile.

Moshe