Re: default components file

2003-07-01 14:30:09
Earl Hood <earl(_at_)earlhood(_dot_)com> wrote:

The only potential confusion for new users about "Fcc: +outbox" is
that when they see it the first time when composing a message, they
may be confused on exactly what that means.

That's a good point. Here are some other issues that come to mind. In
this discussion, "replcomps" means "replcomps and replgroupcomps".

Note that in replcomps, the Fcc only appears if you specify "repl -fcc
+outbox". But then it does appear in the header.

Whatever we do should be consistent. If we were simply to add "Fcc:
+outbox" to components, we'd make "-fcc +outbox" the default for repl.
This isn't consistent. Fcc would be set in the components file on one
hand, and on the command line in another.

So, one solution would be to add -fcc +outbox to comp and apply
mh-format to components files as well so that Fcc could be controlled by
both the components file and the command line. Perhaps folks would
welcome MH formatting in the components file, but it could be a lot of
work.

Another solution to make things consistent would be to remove the -fcc
option from repl, remove the {fcc} formatting string, and simply add
"Fcc: +outbox" to both components and replcomps. This would be easy, but
would break the ability to set the Fcc depending on whom the message is
addressed. comp is already broken in this regard since it doesn't have a
-fcc option.

Another solution would be to *remove* the Fcc component and {fcc}
formatting string from replcomps and apply Earl's suggestion to both
comp and repl, that -fcc +outbox would be the default for both programs
and operate behind the scenes. This actually has a *lot* of appeal to
me.

Even though Ruud make a good point about the difference between outbox
and sent-items in other mailers, I'm not sure how applicable this
argument is to MH, since the parallel between inbox and outbox is so
strong.

The default for the -fcc option would thus be +outbox, which could be
overridden with a different -fcc option (like sent-items ;-) or turned
off entirely with -nofcc.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG
ID:610BD9AD