Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh updates

2004-10-12 17:41:24
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:11:35 PDT, Jon Steinhart said:
I just checked out the CVS so that I could fix some bugs.  I noticed that the
re
is no config.h.in or configure as part of the distribution.  Anyone mind if I
add those.  Doing so will make the INSTALL instructions work.  Or, I could
change the INSTALL instructions, but I think that the first option is the
right one.

Hmm.. if there's a 'configure.in' but not a 'configure', running autoconf
and putting the results in CVS would probably be a good idea. I'm pretty sure
that nmh is documented as building on systems that don't believe in the
GNU auto* toolchain, so users on those systems will need a 'configure'.

(Odd - the CVS tree has config.h and configure.in, but *not* config.h.in
or configure?  If only 2 of the 4 are in the tree, I'd expect that either
both are the .in flavor, or neither are.)

For many projects, the Way It Is Done is to have the *.in files in the
tree, and expect that anybody working with the CVS tree has the autofoo stuff
installed - and autoconf/automake/etc get run just before cutting a
release tarball.  Is that what we *intended* to do?