Re: [Nmh-workers] show's checkmime

2005-01-22 12:57:39
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:43:48 GMT, Ralph Corderoy said:

Seems sane, except for one little detail.  There's the corner case
where (for instance) the $LANG is set to something like fr_FR.UTF-8
(which means that the system understands UTF-8, but it's quite
possible that for actual display, we can't be sure that we have all
UTF-8 codeplanes available.  Such a user may have done 'export
MM_CHARSET="$LANG";', so we might want to check if UTF-8 is found
anywhere in the string:

+   if (!strncasecmp("ISO-8859-", mm_charset, 9) ||
+           strstr(mm_charset,"UTF-8")) {

What do people think?

I'd be wary of the original patch matching `UTF-8080' and this matching
`CRUTF-8'.  If that can't happen and any occurance of `UTF-8' must be
referring to UTF-8 then that's not a problem but I don't have required
knowledge.

A user could, of course, set MM_CHARSET to some bogus value.  But I've never
encountered a language, charset, or font specification where the substring
"UTF-8" didn't in fact mean a UTF-8....