Re: [Nmh-workers] scan or show of UTF-encoded headers?

2005-02-14 09:57:55
 > Yes. See the decode function in the mh-format manual page. It has a few
 > limitations however. It doesn't use iconv or similar to convert headers
 > to the current encoding. So you need to use a UTF-8 locale and set the
 > MM_CHARSET environment variable to UTF-8. That means that it then won't
 > decode a ISO-8859-1 header anymore.

hmmm.  i'll play with it.  does anyone have any clever scripts to
wrap this up into a nice solution?

What do you consider a nice solution? I use the method as described
by Oliver (actually that's the default of the debian package). It works
satisfactory but unfortunately we have a wild mixture of latin1 and latin9
in europe (thanks to MS windows not being able or willing to adapt to
the new situation in the past four years) so half of the mails I
get isn't decoded at all. If anybody has a patch or an other solution,

i guess i was thinking of a wrapper for scan or show that took care
of setting up the locale and charset, either via argument for manually
choosing, or maybe even by examining the message and then figuring out
what locale/charset it should probably use, this time.

(i confess i don't exchange a lot of mail with non-english/
ascii-speaking correspondents, and being american/english/ascii
guy myself, have never really had to adjust locales or charsets etc.
which is to say, i may not fully understand what i'm asking for.  :-)

paul