[Nmh-workers] Re: Should attachment header handling be in send?

2006-02-04 20:34:41
Jon Steinhart <jon(_at_)fourwinds(_dot_)com> writes:

OK, I think that I understand now.  You're right, this is somewhat ugly.
Here's a first crack at a solution.  Despite the earlier complaint about
using the file command, it correctly identifies mail messages.  So I
would be inclined to use it to set the content type.  Now, this doesn't
work real well with the current mhshow-suffix scheme since it's not a
suffix, so I would think about adding some other profile entries that
give the content type to use for particular file command results.

Since the file command doesn't always get it right, MH-E has code to
"fix" it. In particular Excel and Powerpoint files get tagged as
application/msword, Openoffice documents get tagged as
application/x-zip, and vCards get tagged as text/plain.

nmh should probably do something similar if it goes the file route.

My own personal feeling is to prefer the extension if it matches one
in /etc/mime.types and use the file command as a fallback rather than
vice-versa, but that isn't the consensus with the MH-E developers.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG
ID:610BD9AD