[Nmh-workers] Re: mail threading headers

2006-05-26 08:23:28
Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU> writes:

    Date:        Thu, 25 May 2006 16:02:48 -0400
    From:        Paul Fox <pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us>

  | so -- how important is it to use In-reply-to in a new References
  | header if there was no previous References header?

Not very...

Why do you think so? Remember the "liberal in what you receive,
conservative in what you send" philosophy. Using In-Reply-To to seed
the References helps to preserve a bit of threading information from
broken mailers.

  | the default nmh template doesn't do it.  should we care?

Yes, we should care, and no, the template should not do it, or at least,
not without lots more support in the form of new format functions.

Assuming we could a) pull the Message-Id out of an old-style
In-Reply-To, or b) punt and ignore it if it's in the old style, you'd
be for it though, right?