Re: [Nmh-workers] Attaching a zip file

2006-12-13 06:43:18
------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

 > > To attach a compressed tar file, say, /tmp/foobar.tgz, to an Email, I do
 > > something like:
 > >
 > > #application/octet-stream; \
 > > type=tar; x-conversion=gzip; \
 > > name=foobar.tgz  /tmp/foobar.tgz
 > >
 > > Could somebody take pity on an old man and tell me what I would do to
attach
 > > a zip file, say. /tmp/foobar.zip, to an Email?
 >
 > I'd just do
 >
 > #application/zip; name="foobar.zip" /tmp/foobar.zip

i'll attach a script i use for forwarding attachments.  it
handles the common binary types i use, plain files, and mail
messages, based on interpreting its arguments.  it produces the
You should really just use file(1) here. It will give you mime-types
and sutible descriptions for free, and doesn't rely on file extensions.

My remime script http://people.freebsd.org/~alexbl/remime uses the libmagic
bindings for pytohn for the same effect. I've also attached it.

it's far from perfect, i'm sure, but it saves me trying to remember how
to compose mhbuild lines by hand.
I imagine a _lot_ of people have scripts like this :)

Alex

#!/usr/bin/env python
import sys, re, os
import magic

msg = ''

descr_ms = magic.open(magic.MAGIC_NONE)
descr_ms.load()
mime_ms = magic.open(magic.MAGIC_MIME)
mime_ms.load()

for a in open(sys.argv[1]):
        if a.startswith('#remime: '):
                filename = a[9:].strip()
                if os.path.exists(filename):
                        a = '#%s; name="%s" <>[ %s ] %s\n' %
(mime_ms.file(filename), os.path.basename(filename), descr_ms.file(filename),
filename)
                else:
                        a = '\n'
        msg += a

msg_file = open(sys.argv[1], 'w')
msg_file.write(msg)
msg_file.close()

os.execvp('mhbuild', ('mhbuild', sys.argv[1]))